So easy. So yummy. This Indian inspired dish is PACKED with flavor and guaranteed to have you coming back for more. Serve it up with some cooked rice, cauliflower rice or even over roasted veggies; anything goes with this one!
- 1 medium serrano pepper, cut into thirds
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1-inch)
- 6 tablespoons canola oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2¼ cups no-salt-added canned diced tomatoes with their juice, (from a 28-ounce can)
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Pulse serrano, garlic and ginger in a food processor until minced. Scrape down the sides and pulse again. Add onion; pulse until finely chopped, but not watery.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add coriander, cumin and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Pulse tomatoes in the food processor until finely chopped. Add to the pan along with salt. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Add chickpeas and garam masala, reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more. Serve topped with cilantro, if desired.