I LOVE myself some GOOD roasted chicken and for the most part, because of time restraints, we end up buying the pre-made Rotisserie from the grocery store BUT in an attempt to try and make more foods at home, I took the time to get this done. Surprisingly, this was a very EASY and QUICK recipe. Its GREAT for a Sunday dinner or to prep for the week's meals... either way, it honestly smelled like THANKSGIVING up in our kitchen. ENJOY!
Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken
- 2 3.5-4 lb whole organic chickens; rinsed
- 3 Tbsp butter of ghee (I used ghee)
- 2 Tbsp chopped rosemary
- 2 Tbsp chopped thyme
- 2 lemons, zest both and slice the rest
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup baby carrots
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- In a bowl, mix the butter or ghee, thyme, rosemary and zest from 2 lemons. Add a little salt and pepper.
- Place baby carrots on the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Place chicken (patted dry) inside a roasting pan.
- Placed sliced lemons inside cavity along with the onion wedges and a few extra rosemary and thyme sprigs; divide between the two chickens.
- Tie legs together (optional) with water-soaked twine.
- Brush chicken with the butter/ghee and seasoning mixture you prepared in the bowl. Place some under the breast skin if possible.
- Squeeze juice from the additional lemon over the chicken, then sprinkle skin with a little salt and pepper.
- Roast in 400º F oven for about 1 hour.
- Cover with foil and roast for an additional hour. (using a meat thermometer is highly recommended – when the temperature reaches 165º F, the chicken is cooked through)
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing and serving